Rose City Park Presbyterian’s Board of Deacons carries out its charge to service, as defined by the denomination in 1992 to “Exhibit within the church and before the world the exemplary moral authority of sympathy, witness and service after the example of Jesus Christ.” (The Presbyterian Deacon: An Essential Guide, by Earl S. Johnson, Jr.)
They support the church’s mission in many ways. Within the congregation they provide member care by organizing our Ride-to-Church taxi program bringing seniors who no longer drive, delivering flowers throughout the year for members who are no longer able to attend church, and sending cards when members experience life challenges. They support Sunday worship and activities by serving as ushers during worship, organizing coffee fellowship, and scheduling main door greeters.
Education is important to the members RCPPC. For years, the Deacons’ Student Aid Fund has supported youth from our congregation with one-time gifts as they pursue post-high school education. (See below)
The Deacons’ work reaches into the community as well. Through the Deacons’ Fund, they support four local charities with quarterly gifts: MAINSPRING Portland, Portland Women’s Crisis Line, Sisters of the Road, and Snow-CAP Community Charities. Gifts to the Deacons’ Fund support their helping ministry.
Rose City Park Presbytery Educational Grants
Rose City Park Presbytery Church is a strong believer in and supporter of education. To that end the Deacons Committee at Rose City Park is pleased to offer financial assistance for continuing education for our high school graduates. The application form will be available in the church office as well as via the link below.
Download Application as a Microsoft Word document
Grant Policy of Rose City Park Presbytery Church
RCPPC wishes to recognize and encourage those of our wider church family who are pursuing education beyond high school. These grants are provided from the Student Aid account which is funded through donations from the congregation, dividends from the account’s investments and interest generated by the Whitehead Scholarship Endowment:
- Grant applications are accepted for up to two school sessions each year.
- The grant is available to anyone who has an active relationship with RCPPC and their family members.
- Each grant will be awarded $500.
- This is a gift and there is no expectation that it be repaid.
- The grant will be given to the applicant to be used by them as they determine.
- The grant is available for any post high school education (i.e., college, community college, trade school, etc.)
- Applications will be reviewed by a Deacon representative and approval will be passed on to the financial secretory for processing.