TO APPLY: Please contact the Rev. Clark Scalera, Advocate for Congregations and Clergy for the Presbytery of the Cascades at: email@example.com (541) 606-5699. Click here to see the job posting.
ROSE CITY PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH: Rose City Park Presbyterian Church (RCPPC) is located inthe Hollywood District in Portland, Oregon. We are a progressive congregation with strong programmatic connections to the Presbyterian Church (USA): Covenant Network of Presbyterians, More Light, and the Matthew 25 Initiative. Locally, we are one of the founding members of the Interfaith Alliance on Poverty, and our members engage in three food ministry programs. We also share building space with several community non-profit organizations. Our church is known for its continuity in pastoral leadership as our former pastor retired at the end of 2020 after a 21-year ministry.
POSITION: Interim Head Pastor (Full time)
POSITION SUMMARY: RCPPC seeks a leader with outstanding preaching and worship leading skills, organizational agility, and the ability to guide both staff and lay leaders with patience and strong leadership. In this time of transition and growth, we are ready to welcome an interim pastor who will guide and challenge the congregation to embrace our changing future with enthusiasm and creativity.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Interim Pastor will be accountable to the Personnel Committee and the RCPPC Session as well as the Commission on Ministry of the Presbytery of the Cascades.
ROLES AND PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate with the Stated Supply Pastor in defining pastoral and administrative roles and responsibilities.
- Serve as Head of Staff: lead church staff, support staff development, and conduct regular performance reviews.
- Help the congregation address the 5 tasks of an Interim: Come to Terms with History through Conversation and Healing; Discover the Church’s Identity; Empower Leadership of the Congregation; Affirm the Connectional Linkage as a Presbyterian Church; and Make New Commitments to the Future and New Leadership.
- Collaborate with music and administrative staff.
- Serve as Moderator of Session. (1) Assist Session in sustaining a shared leadership culture among staff, Session, Deacons, and committees. (2) Assist Session in addressing matters of congregational governance and administration.
- Support the work of Committee Chairs, Deacons, Treasurer, and other lay leaders.
- Provide leadership to the Session and the Stewardship and Finance Committee to enhance the financial health of RCPPC.
- Support the work of the Nominating Committee.
- Provide leadership training for Elders and Deacons.
- Support the continued expansion of technological tools for worship, communication, and outreach.
- Provide new member and confirmation classes.
- Encourage spiritual growth of the congregation through worship, preaching and teaching.
- Support and encourage interactive worship to include eclectic music and the visual and performing arts.
- Share in a ministry of compassion in hospital calling, crisis counseling, and home visitations.
- Administer the sacraments of communion and baptism and officiate at weddings and funerals of members.
- Support the educational programs of children, youth, and families.
- Maintain an active and visible presence with the Presbytery.
- As a representative of the congregation, participate in the work and ministry of ecumenical and community groups.
- Work with the congregation, Session, and the Presbytery to prepare for a new installed pastor as part of an intentional transitional ministry.
- An inspiring preacher who challenges listeners to live out their faith.
- An empathetic listener with a welcoming and energetic presence.
- An experienced administrator and staff supervisor who is comfortable and agile within church systems.
- Skilled in the knowledge of transitional ministry who will help the congregation envision the path ahead and move forward with joy and purpose.
- Values multi-generational and inclusive worship.
- Honors members’ theological perspectives and political viewpoints.
- Experienced in conflict resolution and able to effectively address conflict among church groups, members, and staff.
TO APPLY: Please contact the Rev. Clark Scalera, Advocate for Congregations and Clergy for the Presbytery of the Cascades at: firstname.lastname@example.org (541) 606-5699.