Rose City Park Presbyterian is the home of a beautiful set of stained glass windows designed and built by Povey Glass Company of Portland, Oregon; the collection of windows, created in 1927, explores religious themes including scenes from the life of Christ and Judeo-Christian symbols including star of David, lily, burning bush, morning star, star of Bethlehem, Celtic cross, and crown. While it is unverified that locally known artist Albert A. Gerlach was involved in the design and creation of the windows in the church sanctuary and balcony staircase, it is generally accepted that he was involved in the project. We do know that the windows in the upper narthex, showing the hand of God and the Lamb with cross, were created by Gerlach in 1927. In 1947, Gerlach created a window depicting Mary and the infant Jesus to be installed with a partner window salvaged from the original church building. These are located in the church parlor.
Windows in the lower narthex were designed and completed by Gerlach in 1955 and are made with imported antique glass. They depict the themes of faith, hope, and love using symbols of the twelve apostles.
A recent addition to the sanctuary windows is located on the north wall of the sanctuary, and was designed by David Schlicker Stained Glass of Portland, Oregon. The window is informed by the design of the earlier 1927 windows, with a center medallion presenting the theme “beside still waters.”
Stained glass windows in the more contemporary chapel were designed by Willemse Stained Glass Studio of Scappoose, Oregon and were installed in 1977.
Art in the Building
Rose City Park Presbyterian is the home of several pieces of art by the award-winning Vancouver, Washington fiber artist, Eleanor Van de Water. Her unique textile pieces hang in public buildings, churches and private homes throughout the United States and Canada. For Rose City Park Presbyterian, her first commissioned work was a brightly colored, pieced textile wall hanging installed in 1995 above the doors in the upper narthex. The Dossal depicting a Jesse tree has hung above the chancel in the sanctuary since its completion in 1996. The church also commissioned three sets of paraments for the communion table, pulpit and lectern in green, white and purple to complement the dossal and to be used during the main liturgical seasons of the church year.